What is growing in the garden and rain

22 March 2011

According to the weatherman, yesterday was the first day of Autumn. We had about 30% rain but it was enough for the plants and seedlings in the garden to just perk up a little bit more. I’m so amazed at their response to rain compared to when they are just watered with tap water.

My garlic, beetroot, cauliflower and onion seedlings that I planted about 2 weeks ago are pushing through. I did not have my camera with me when I went outside so I will take pictures the next time I go out.

All my corn is now done bearing and I have to pull up the stalks. Next time I will plant much more. Apart from the herbs and green peppers javascript:void(0)we are getting only spinach from the garden now. I planted some more peas from seed since the ones I planted on the 3rd of March, are very slow in germinating. I think I planted about 10 directly into the soil and only 2 are showing up now. Yesterday I planted about 20 seeds.

I made basil pesto with the basil that is in abundance now and also made a basil and parsley pesto. I use the pesto in pasta, with chicken breasts as well as on sandwiches. I froze 3 small containers and 1 is in the fridge for our daily use.

No comments:

Post a Comment