uithou en aanhou

It is actually amazing that this blog still exists. I just received a notification from blogger about it and I honestly completely forgot that I created this as  a way to remember my gardening trial and errors. I never stopped gardening.

I stay in Cape Town and we have been in the grips of a severe drought since 2015. This year is actually the first time that our dams are getting full. Last year this time the combined dam levels were at 37.5% and now the levels are close to 80%.  Praise God for answered prayers.

The garden  has been watered from borehole water and if any fall, rainwater.  The whole saving water has been a lesson on its own. I learnt that our borehole has too much iron and it killed all my root vegetables. It also kills all the snails. So we had to install a filter and a pump and now we can use the water for irrigation and laundry.

Currently growing in my garden is broccoli, butter lettuce, tomatoes, onions, broad beans and spinach . Rocket has gone to seed and I managed to harvest 2 squash from a plant that self seeded.

I sowed eggplant seeds on Saturday  and am holding thumbs that it will take since I have never had success with it.


One of the greatest lessons I learnt in my gardening journey is that soil preparation and watering is key. Without those 2 all the minerals you add to the garden counts for nothing.

Stay blessed.
Tuinmeisie

No comments:

Post a Comment